Thursday, August 6, 2009

Simple Decadence

Sometimes it's the simple things in life that make you happy. This is the time of year all the tomatoes start getting ripe...mmmmm...nothing like home-grown from my mama's garden. I just had a dinner of a HUGE bowl of said tomatoes, dressed with nothing but salt, and a bowl of chicken tortilla soup from Qdoba. Simple, but yummy.

However, I titled this "Simple Decadence" and while my dinner was yummy, it wasn't decadent...but my lunch was! I was in northern Kentucky this morning for a meeting and on my way back, decided to take a little detour through Owenton. If you are a true foodie, you already know what's coming. Elk Creek vineyard. Their cafe menu is heaven on earth. My boss was with me, so we decided to each order a different sandwich and split. She ordered the "Chardonnay Gourmet Grilled Cheese" and I had the "Tuscan Meat Combo." Oh...My...Lord. The grilled cheese has layers of swiss, smoked gouda, and havarti with fresh basil and tomato on grilled flatbread and the combo has salami, capicolla, prosciutto, mozzarella, lettuce, tomato, red onion, olives, sliced pepperoncinis, and drizzled with chateau dressing on baguette. Seeing the decadence yet? The only way the meal could possibly be improved was if I hadn't had to head back to work and could have had a glass of their Syrah. The hubby will be dragged up there soon to have a nice, simple dinner and enjoy the live music they have every Friday and Saturday. If you haven't been there...GO! Enjoy a wine tasting and sample their cheese plate. That's next on my agenda!

No comments: