Friday, February 11, 2011

What hell feels like...

Here in the midwest, there have been multiple illnesses going around.  Everyone has gotten either the flu, a cold, a 24-hour stomach bug, or strep throat.  It's unavoidable.  If you live within range...you WILL get sick.  Some lucky people I know, including my brother-in-law, pulled a double-header with flu AND strep.  That's gotta be fun!

For me, it was the cold.  As far as things go, you think, "hey, that's okay, it's a cold.  No big deal."

Yeah.  Right.

This was the MOTHER of all colds.  Feel like you've been run over, can't breathe, can't think, hacking your head off then wondering if you even still HAVE a head, cold.

I can deal with all that.  I got to watch a lot of TV and have valid reason for laying in bed all day.  Cool.

But, you remember where I said "can't breathe"?

You also remember your elementary school science class where they discussed the majority of taste is in smell?

No smell = no taste = Food Geek HELL!

After a week I was feeling okay.  At least starting to feel human.  Not completely cleared up, but hungry and wanting something yummy and flavorful that would cut through the tastebud lockdown.  Quick backstory:  A couple weeks ago I had a spice cabinet avalanche, and the cap to my curry powder broke, filling my kitchen with the scent of curry, so I have been craving curry for weeks, but was out of coconut milk.  Fast forward to feeling human again, and I decided to stop on the way home from work for a can of coconut milk to make aforesaid curry.

Oh this is going to be wonderful!  Slowly saute the chicken, onions, and red peppers.  Add a little red curry paste, add the coconut milk, add a healthy dose of curry powder, steam some rice to the perfect consistency.  Serve, and prepare to enjoy the strength of curry power cutting through anything a cold can throw at you.

Uh huh.  I may as well have just eaten the rice plain.  Absolutely could not taste a THING!  Meanwhile, hubby is going on and on about how wonderful it is.  Yeah, rub it in.

Finally, a few days later, I could truly smell again and thoroughly enjoyed the leftovers, but I think another round of curry is close in my future.

No comments: