Thursday, July 15, 2010

Fresh Pesto

My new garden has gone gangbusters this year, most especially the tomatoes and basil.  While my tomatoes aren't ripe yet, the basil was getting extremely large, and what else to do with a bunch of basil than make fresh pesto!

Louisville Food Geek Basil Pesto:

2-3 cups basil leaves
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 cup pecorino-romano cheese
1/4 cup walnuts
2 T lemon juice
A good-quality olive oil (I used Williams-Sonoma House Olive Oil)

I put the cheese through the food processor until it was well grated, then put the basil leaves, garlic, nuts and lemon juice on top of the cheese.  I processed it until it was well-chopped and incorporated.  Then, with the processor running, I drizzled in the olive oil until it was to the consistency I wanted.  I probably only used 1/2-3/4 of a cup of olive oil, as I like my pesto thick.  I cooked up some linguine and tossed it with a few tablespoons of the pesto.  Mmmmmm, great dinner!  And sooo quick!!!

I also have to note, if you haven't tried the WS House olive oil, go buy some, now!  It has to be the absolute best olive oil I have had.  It doesn't need cheese, pepper, or any other seasoning to be the perfect dipping oil.  If I wouldn't end up weighing 400 pounds, I would eat bread and oil at every meal.

No comments: