Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Sunday Morning Coffee


Sometimes it gets lonely with my husband away on business all the time. Sometimes. But other times, I just revel in it!

That's how it was Sunday morning. I slept in a bit, and when I finally rolled out of bed, I decided to treat myself to a coffee and cinnamon roll from Java Brewing Company. I've missed Java. Ever since I left my old workplace, where there was a Java right around the corner, I have only been in a handful of times. I thought it was time to reacquaint myself.

Java is Louisville-based, all the roasting happens in our great city, and I happen to think there is no better cup of coffee anywhere. While I will go to Starbuck's for a latte or macchiato, I won't touch their basic coffee. When I want excellent, flavorful, perfectly roasted and brewed coffee, I go to Java.

So that's where I trundled off to Sunday morning. I decided to visit the location on Highway 42 in Prospect. Just as every other location, Java has the ambiance down pat. There is nowhere else on Earth I would rather curl up with a book and a cup than one of their cushy, well-used leather couches or chairs. The music is always subtle and mellow, and you are perfectly welcome to spend hours there, just hanging out.

I ordered my usual, a "huge" dark roast. It always packs a punch. Pair that with the cinnamon roll, which the baristas are happy to warm up for you, it's just a little slice of coffee heaven. I sat and savored for a good hour, when the barista approached and asked if I would like a latte on the house. Ummm...sure! :-) I've already had more caffeine than I normally consume in a week, but who cares? I'm sure not going to pass this up.

I have to say, it was one of the prettiest lattes I've ever had! He did a beautiful fern pattern in the foam, I almost hated to drink it...almost!

After polishing off the latte, I was good to go...for about a week! As I left, I was excited to see some Lotsa Pasta sandwiches available in the cooler. I grabbed a couple to take home for lunch over the next couple of days. As always, they were excellent as well. One was a wonderful mix of artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, onions and olives. The other was a mix of cheeses that was perfectly sinful, especially after I zapped it for 15 seconds! The cheeses got ooey-gooey and oh so yummy! I just might have to make a trip to Java every weekend.

No comments: